Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Hello!!!

Hello everyone!

While I'm not new to viewing and using ideas from other people's blogs...I am new to creating my own blog...so please bear with me as I readjust backgrounds, the layout, etc. these next few days!

I am very excited to start my own blog!  As many of you probably are as well, I am an avid Pinterest user.  I have seen so many great ideas on Pinterest, I actually can't wait for the new school year to begin so I can put them into action!

As for my summer, it is currently quite filled with activities.  The school I work at received an Extended Day Program Grant a few years back.  The purpose of the grant is to provide fun, safe and educational activities for students to do after school for grades 4-8.  The grant will then study the drop out rates of these students. Anyways, this grant allows for four weeks during the summer to invite students to school to do some cool art projects, cooking, and physical education games.  Needless to say, I take full advantage of the opportunity to spend grant money for my classroom and for art needs!

This summer, our big project is a Keith Haring inspired physical education mural, which I have been waiting patiently to do since I started teaching!  My school does not have much for art work throughout the school and I am to change that!  This is the first mural since the new building was built about 20 years ago that the art department has been allowed to do ON THE WALL!!!  So far, we have spent a total of 6 days with anywhere from 3-8 students working on it at any given time.  I expect in 2-3 days, we will be finished with it!

 Day 1:  We traced our bodies in different activity poses and then transferred them to the wall.

 Day 2:  We started adding the color!

 Day 3:  Finished the grass and added all the clouds.

 Day 4:  Started painting the sky and touched us some of the green paint.

Day 5:  Finished painting the sky.

I didn't take any photos for day 6...we changed the color of the purple guy and the dark green guy because they were just too dark, and we also had to repaint part of the sky.  For some reason, the paint was drying differently, even though it was all mixed at the same time...I'm wondering if the humidity on those two days played a part in how the paint dried?  Either way, tomorrow we will re-outline all of the figures with black paint, add all the motion lines, and touch up the "Let's Get Moving!"

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    I have never painted a mural so just wondering --what kind of paint are you using?
    Thanks
    Sara
    By the way--your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've officially painted a mural too! I found mural paints at eNasco.com. They're a type of acrylic. I'm not really sure what makes them different than the acrylic in tubes...maybe just that they are a little more watered down. The paint costs about $23 a half-gallon depending on what color you get.

    ReplyDelete