Saturday, September 15, 2012

4th Grade Still Life

I'm currently working on grading some of the artwork from this week and I've realized one thing....I need to alter my rubric by splitting up some of the categories...what I have is too hard to grade with! I just wanted to share some of these Pre-assessment drawings. This group of students will not be included in my SLOs but it's probably a good thing because I have now realized that I'm not entirely happy with my rubric! On a side note...can anyone pick out the artwork done by my private lesson student? We've already worked on still life drawing in our private lessons and it sure shows!

These are just a range of what the students did in two days. I said very little to them about what I expected them to draw...just talked about what a still life is and that they had to draw from the display in front of them. The only "hints" I gave them was that they had to draw at least 5 objects, they had to draw what they saw in front of them, and they could add value of they knew what it was or how to do it.

5 comments:

  1. I'm also having rubric issues! I have been using the same rubric for two years now but with all the changes I have made to my 3-5 assessments I'm finding that it's not fitting my needs this year. I have started to re-write them and need to sit down tomorrow to finish them. Are you going to have the students draw the still-life again with more direction to see what growth/changes there are in their sketches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I'm not using this group for SLOs, so I plan on revamping the rubric after I finish the pre-assessments. Then, we will do various projects/a unit on drawing from real life through the school year. I will probably have them draw a still life again at the end of that unit using the update rubric. I'll probably still have them draw a still life again at the end of the year, just to make sure that this assessment works for SLO purposes.

      Delete
    2. I am going to guess that the first piece is your private student? I am always intrigued by how the students visualize a still-life. You always have the students who line their objects up in a row across the paper even though the display has overlapping, depth and different levels. I always wonder is it that they are quick to look and draw what they assume is there or is that how they are seeing it in their minds eye? When given instruction on how to look at the still-life some begin to see it differently but you will still have those who "line up" their objects. I am going to have my 5ths do a still-life after this piece we are working on now. Our focus in this piece is to shade and shadow so I am hoping it will help when they shade/shadow the still-life. Love everything your doing! :)

      Delete
  2. My classes just finished doing their first major project involving still life as a subject too. I think your students turned out some successful pieces especially considering the fact that you gave them very little instructions! I am especially impressed with the fact that you told them to do at least 5 objects and many of what you shared show much more than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by that too! I was also surprised by which students went above and beyond and took their time...some of them weren't the ones that I had expected to do that! I have one particular student who rushes through EVERYTHING! I've been working a lot with him to slow down, take his time and do quality work. He was actually one of the ones who attempted shading all on his own!

      Delete