Thursday, November 29, 2012

Christmas Pastels

One more post for tonight...my day today was pretty long.  It felt like it was never going to end and my patience was running short.  I almost forgot about planning something for the Extended Day program too, so I decided to do Christmas pastel drawings with the kids as they usually like using oil pastels.

To my astonishment, they turned out AWESOME!  And, I was completely baffled by two of the boys who did this project...in art class, they usually aren't what I would consider my star students.  They tend to cause drama and be trouble makers because they are "bored".  They did AMAZING on their oil pastel drawings!  I think I might have embarrassed them from all the praise I gave them!  In fact, one of them asked me, "Mrs. Impey, this isn't going to count for my grade is it?"  No, but, I told him, lucky for you, our next unit in 4th grade will be making poinsettia  clay bowls and then doing an oil pastel close-up drawing of a poinsettia.  He was incredibly HAPPY at this news...even though I told him we would be drawing flowers!

When they finished, I pulled out the "masters frames" that I purchased this year and let them attach them to the frames.  Of course, I played a little favoritism and let the two below put their drawings in a real mat...

These are the two I'm talking about!  Both done in different styles...but both amazing! The red one was done by a 4th grader, and the other by a 5th grader.

Another awesome drawing by a 5th grader.

4th Grader

4th Grader

5th Grader

5th Grader

No comments:

Post a Comment