Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Volcanoes!

My maternity leave started on Monday this week...no baby yet as my due date is next Friday, but I was definitely ready to be done with school...and a little more at ease with leaving after my maternity sub was hired and followed me around all last week.  Phew!  (For the sake of ease, I'm going to call my sub Miss Y.)

I've got a few posts that I'm working on to share projects that were finished up (or in the process of being finished) Friday when I left school.  One of the projects that my substitute started right away was with the K-3 12:1:1 class.  They had been BUGGING me to no end to do a volcano project, so I mentioned this to my sub and she decided to build volcanoes with them.  (I'm actually quite jealous that she gets to do this project with them!)

I had originally thought to use toilet paper tubes in the center, but Miss Y decided to use water bottles instead...that way they could actually use them to make them erupt!  I was there for this first day, and I can't wait to see how they turn out when I return!

We gave each student a piece of cardboard as a base and Miss Y hot glued the water bottles to the center.  We had the students crumple up newspaper and tape it around the water bottle to build up the mountain of the volcano.  Finally, the students used Plasticraft plaster strips to dip into water and cover the newspaper.





Next class the students will be painting these.  Can't wait to see how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment